January 25, 2014
How to Pull off Nude Lips Without Looking Like a Corpse
If you want to go nude (get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about makeup) follow these simple rules and then check out my all time favorite nude lipsticks below. I will say this: finding the perfect shade of nude for YOUR skin tone can take some trial and error. It seems like (with me anyway) they're either too pink, too taupe, too peach, too brown, too chalky, too something-you-just-can't-put-your-finger-on. I will break up my top picks by skin tone to make it a bit easier. Another fun part about going nude? You get to play up your eyes. My favorite thing to do is draw on a thick line of black liquid liner and pop a few flare lashes on and it's like insta-Brigitte Bardot and we all know it doesn't get much sexier than that.
Without further ado...
1. Moisturize those smackers. There's nothing worse than nude lips (any color lips for that matter) that look all chapped and are peeling all over the place. Lighter colors really draw attention to this so don't forget your lip balm. If you need to exfoliate your lips, use a dry (clean) soft-bristle toothbrush in small circular motions to slough off any dry skin. My favorite balm to use lately is Eos Evolution of Smooth - Lip Balm Sphere Pomegranate Raspberry
2. You're going to want to use your finger to pat on a cream concealer to your lips and just slightly outside your lip line. This helps prime the lips, keeps everything in place and cancels out your natural lip color that can sometimes interfere with a true nude lip. I like using L'Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer, Light/Medium Warm because I can just draw it on and pat in with my finger.
3. This next step seems weird to some, but don't skip it. Even though you'll be applying a nude lip color, you still want to line your lips with a nude liner. This will not only make everything look much neater, but it will add some punch and most importantly make all the difference between your nude lip looking INTENTIONAL versus you just looking like you have been skipping your multivitamin for your whole life.
4. Apply nude lip color of choice (try to stay away from anything with a gray or too-beige undertone which will wash you out and make your complexion seem sallow).
5. What I call "reverse line" your lips with NYX Cosmetics Wonder Pencil Light. This basically means you are going to trace a very light line around your natural lip line with the Wonder Pencil. This will make your lips seem more plump and draw attention to your cupid's bow. I use this step regardless of the lip color I'm using because it will always draw the lips outward and give the illusion of a fuller pout.
6. Keep your teeth white! This should be a no brainer, but I just thought I'd give you a friendly reminder. Use a good whitening toothpaste, my all time FAVE is Colgate Optic White Enamel White Toothpaste, Luminous Mint
Voila! You should have a sexy and pouty nude lip! Now, check out my favorites, go forth and GO NUDE!
FAIR TO LIGHT COMPLEXION
MAC in "Creme Cup" (Nordstrom, $15)
YSL Rouge Volupte Sheer Candy in "01 Lush Coconut" (Nordstrom, $32)
Essence Lipstick in "Look at Me!" (Ulta, $2.99)
L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipcolour in "Fairest Nude" (Ulta, $7.99)
Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in "Sentiment" (Nordstrom, $34)
NARS Lipstick in "Crusing" (Nordstrom, $26)
MEDIUM TO DARK COMPLEXION
Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color in "Bare it All" (Drugstore.com, $2.29)
YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick in "Nude Beige" (Nordstrom, $34)
L'Oreal Infallible Lip Gloss in "Barely Nude" (Ulta, $9.99)
Too Faced La Creme Lipstick in "Naughty Nude" (Sephora $22)
NARS Lipstick in "Niagra" (Nordstrom, $26)
Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in "Liar" (Sephora, $22)